Before the holidays, Maura spent some time working with Steve Mayse, Larry Dickerson, Ed Rodriguez and Marcus Cain to put together a comprehensive compensation for the top 3 designs that are submitted and voted upon (see attached document for details). The top 3 designs will receive the following compensation:
1st prize - Top Design - $550 + $250 Art Store gift card
2nd prize - Runner Up - $300 + $100 Art Store gift card
3rd prize - Honorable Mention - $150 + $50 Art Store gift card
As you all know the t-shirts that have been in the Art Store, although simple and classic, are in need of a refresh (!). It is my sincere hope that you take advantage of this opportunity and add a new spark to these designs. Although the t-shirt design is the focus, I would encourage you to think about how the design could be applied to other items as well (i.e. tote bag, buttons, stickers).
The due date for submissions is MONDAY, FEBRUARY 1, which is coming right up! Again, please refer to the attached document for more details on submitting your work, etc.
If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Boe (email@example.com).
The KCAI Art Store and the Office of Alumni Relations have teamed up to promote and support the work of the Kansas City Art Institute’s current students and our national community of alumni. This new competition provides an incentive to encourage students and alumni to submit innovative and inspired two-dimensional, graphic print designs for new KCAI t-shirts as part of an overall effort to create multiple new lines of wearable and functional KCAI gear.
People’s Choice Voting
All submitted, approved designs will be featured on KCAI Art Store’s Shopify website from February 9-March 31, 2016, and these designs will be voted on by the public through their purchase. Each topselling student and alumni designs will then be put into production, carried and promoted through the KCAI Art Store for one year following the competition. All voting takes place on the KCAI Shopify site.
A purchase of one t-shirt design constitutes one vote, and any design may be purchased during the competition for $19 + $2.75 for tax and shipping for a total of $21.75. Turnaround time to receive your purchased t-shirt is one week.
A Gear Contest to Benefit the KCAI Annual Fund
In its first phase, this competition will benefit KCAI's Annual Fund, which provides critical support for student services, financial assistance and much needed campus technology and equipment. Of the proceeds raised during the competition, 50% of the sale ($9.50) of each t-shirt will go to support the Annual Fund, while the remaining 50% will cover the production and printing costs of each t-shirt.
Visit http://kansas-city-art-institute.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage for information about other products and services available through the KCAI School Store. This same link and site will also be used during the competition for the public to purchase (vote) for their favorite designs.
All current enrolled BFA students on the KCAI campus and alumni nationwide are invited to submit designs to be reviewed by a curatorial team for inclusion in the program’s online jury market.
• By submitting their artwork, the contestant agrees to grant KCAI copyright on artwork submitted for the contest, which will become the property of KCAI to use for promotional purposes, for printing on merchandise for distribution and sale and representation of the Kansas City Art Institute, in print and online, to its auxiliaries, organized groups, students, alumni, other members and constituents and the general public.
• All merchandise printed will have KCAI's official logo on the opposing side of the contestant’s design (front or back).
• Contestants will have their designs reviewed, approved and added to KCAI Art Store’s Shopify online jury market, where visitors to the site may vote on their favorite design by purchasing a t-shirt for a limited time. Of the designs featured on KCAI Art Store’s Shopify online jury market, the top-selling student and alumni t-shirts will be identified at the end of the competition period. (In the event of a tie, both designs will be chosen for production and will be carried by the KCAI Art Store for up to one year.)
• Contestants may submit one design per category. All submissions are reviewed and approved by our curatorial team, and designs may also remain in a database to be considered for other KCAI Gear projects. Selection criteria for our curatorial team is based upon the appropriateness of a given design in representing KCAI and the category to which it has been submitted (see below).
Before applying, visit http://kansas-city-art-institute.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage to review the current KCAI Art Store Shopify site for an understanding of how the site functions as this may answer many of the questions you are likely to have.
Contestants may apply to be considered in the following categories:
1. T-Shirt design (front)
2. T-Shirt design (back)
3. T-Shirt design (black t-shirt)
4. T-Shirt design (white t-shirt)
5. T-Shirt design (color t-shirt*)
(* Colors recommended by contestants in their design submissions will be matched, to the best of our ability, among the range of color t-shirts that are available through our vendor.)
These categories have been developed in order to help you find an appropriate format for your design. Depending on the specific audience/wearer intended by each contestant, a given design may not necessarily need to fit into one of these categories to be selected for the competition, or it could be presented through some combination.
Note: Contestants may apply for consideration in one or more categories (up to five), although the design for each category must be different from the other designs the contestant submits. A finite number of entries may be chosen for this competition based upon the volume of submissions received.
The number of selections accepted is at the discretion of the curatorial team. The curatorial team will select contestants for each category based on the quality of work submitted and appropriateness of the work to that category. If your work is not selected, you will be notified within one business week following your submission.
Deadline for submissions: MONDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2016, 5 PM
Publishing of Contestant Entries on KCAI Shopify site: Monday, February 8, 2016
Online Purchase Voting: February 9 – March 31, 2016 (All voting sales benefit KCAI Annual Fund)
Induction of student & alumni winners into KCAI Art Store inventory: April 13, 2016
In order to be considered for this competition, please submit the following materials via email:
1. Completed cover sheet, attached (1 copy)
2. No more than 1 jpeg image per category (full-color or black and white – no color separations)
Preferred scenario (this makes our curatorial team’s job easier):
· Submit 2 sets of images by uploading to our Dropbox site, as follows:
o 1st set (full-size images to be used for the actual print process): sized no larger than 11x11”; titles should be labeled as such: lastnamefirstname01_large.jpg; lastnamefirstname02_large.jpg, etc.
o 2nd set (these are used on website for thumbnail views): each image exactly 125x125 pixels; titles should be labeled as such: lastnamefirstname01_small.jpg,, lastnamefirstname02_small.jpg, etc.
Default scenario (if unable to resize as described above):
· Submit 1 set of images, no larger than 1MB each, labeled as such: lastnamefirstname01.jpg, lastnamefirstname02.jpg, etc.
3. Accompanying image list, numbered corresponding to images, detailing the following, in this order: artist name, artwork title.
4. Upload all design submissions and cover sheet to the official KCAI T-Shirt Contest Dropbox:
Helpful, though not necessary:
Resume including (if applicable) exhibition history, education, list of public and private collections, awards, bibliography, residencies, public/private commissions, etc.
Statement that describes your experience and/or approach to your work. (one paragraph max)
Contestants should submit materials by no later than MONDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 5 PM
If it is necessary for you to drop off any materials, you may do so at the address, day and times below:
Kansas City Art Institute
c/o KCAI Art Store
4415 Warwick Blvd.
Kansas City, MO 64111
Attention: Ed Rodriguez, Jennifer Boe or Cecelia Johnigan
KCAI GEAR COMPETITION: T-SHIRT EDITION CONTESTANT COVER SHEET
Contestant Name: _____________________________________________________________________
Year/Dates and Department Attending/Attended: ___________________________________________
Website, if applicable: __________________________________________________________________
I am applying for consideration in the following categories:
___ T-Shirt design (front)
___ T-Shirt design (back)
___ T-Shirt design (black t-shirt)
___ T-Shirt design (white t-shirt)
___ T-Shirt design (color t-shirt) _________________________________________(recommended color)
By submitting these materials for consideration, I agree to the following:
____I understand that I will grant KCAI all copyrights on artwork submitted to the contest, which will become the property of KCAI to use for promotional purposes, for printing on merchandise for distribution and sale and representation of KCAI, in print and online, to its auxiliaries, organized groups, students, alumni, other members and constituents and the general public.
____I understand that, if selected for inclusion in the competition, this does not guarantee that my design(s) will be purchased by the voting public.
____I understand that one or all of my designs may not be selected for inclusion in this competition based upon their appropriateness for KCAI and/or the categories I have designated.
Other notes regarding application:
Please contact Jennifer Boe, KCAI Art Store, with questions at 816-802-3349 or firstname.lastname@example.org.